Unknown flower

• 4 Replies

Hinterland1

• Exploring Mravinjac
    • Email
Unknown flower
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:34:45 AM »
If anyone could tell me what this flower is? I'm almost ashamed to ask for I'm sure it's quite ordinary! You can see the butterfly (Iphiclides podalirius) sucking at it. This was taken in south Dalmatia on a high plateau above the sea.

Caroline

Re: Unknown flower
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 10:23:19 PM »
It looks like a member of the Cynara family to me.  Maybe Cynara cardunculus the cardoon?
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Hinterland1

• Exploring Mravinjac
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 08:09:44 AM »
I thought so too except the stems are smooth and not prickly, and the low lying leaves are too narrow. Perhaps some kind of Cirsium except, again, it's not prickly?
I think the closest I can get to is...Cirsium tuberosum. Can anyone attest to it?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 02:19:07 PM by Hinterland1 »

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 07:44:03 AM »
How about Galactites tormentosa?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hinterland1

• Exploring Mravinjac
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 11:57:20 AM »
I wouldn't think so, the flower heads are nothing like it, also they don't branch out but grow up in single stalks.