Unknown/forgotten bulb!

• 1 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Unknown/forgotten bulb!
« on: April 28, 2018, 06:27:52 AM »
This is an unusual request for a possible identification and unfortunately my Photogene⁴ Ap for reducing 'photos to an acceptable size is not working properly so - no 'photos I'm afraid.
When starting to remove spring flowering bulbs from my collection of pots and heel them into a secluded part of the garden for the leaves to die down naturally I came across two that I did not recognise.Most of the bulbs were discreetly labelled as I had invested in a lot of different Narcissus last autumn but as well as having no label the leaves on these two looked very different and appeared not to have flowered. Each plant has four leaves, up to 35cm long by 1.1/2cm wide and at the base the leaves are covered  with small brown/ maroon blotches to a height of about 7cm.
Intrigued I have left them in situ for now but the tips of the leaves are beginning to turn yellow so I don't think I shall be seeing any flowers....a long shot I know but has anyone any suggestions as to what they might be?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Unknown/forgotten bulb!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 09:03:19 AM »
Hi Umbrian.

Lachenalia often have dark blotches on their leaves. Have you ever bought any Lachenalia bulbs?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.