Does he also sing tangoes?
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President
Gardens in Corfu, Greece.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Tristagma (syn. Ipheion)
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 10:32:40 AM »

What the scruffy photo below (it's been pouring with rain is one excuse) is trying to show is that when Tristagma has to compete with tall annuals, here poppies, it elongates its stem to get the flower head in the sun. The same bulbs in a container are short. They're all pale blue by the way.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Cali

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 12:17:41 PM »
Thanks, Fleur, that's good to know. Question: do the leaves get tall too, or do they stay hugging the ground? If they get tall too, they won't have time to store enough energy to flower next year....  the eternal problem with early flowering bulbs in wild flower meadows. We have to mow at least twice a year. If the leaves remain hugging the ground they would survive the mowing.
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President
Gardens in Corfu, Greece.

Hilary

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 05:54:04 AM »
Ipheion uniflorum, Spring starflower

Yet another plant seen in the Royal Botanic Garden Madrid in April 2018.

This plant is mentioned several times in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN. I chose number 4, Spring 1996 for you to read
 ACCLIMATIZATION PROBLEMS:
TEMPERATURE FLUCTUATIONS by Piero Caneti
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2020, 08:10:27 AM »
A very resilient plant - we have as prolific and extensive a patch, utterly neglected all year, on a dry bank here in Sussex
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society