Hyacinths

• 7 Replies

Daisy

Hyacinths
« on: April 25, 2018, 10:24:08 AM »
A bit late I know but have you ever noticed that it is the blue Hyacinth bulbs that smell the sweetest and strongest?
These are right beside my table and chairs and to sit there when they are in bloom is divine. Note to self, get more in the autumn
Daisy

. by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Hyacinths
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 05:59:51 AM »
Scent is always high on the list for me when considering new planting Daisy.
Unfortunately an early spell of unusually high temperatures this spring has taken its toll on later flowering bulbs and the beautifully scented flowers of Viburnum carlesii came and went in a matter of days. Now I am awaiting the first flowers on my Sweet Peas that are developing fast under the prevailing conditions.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 06:47:42 AM »
You manage to sit down in your garden, Daisy? How does that work?
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Charithea

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 12:38:10 PM »
Hi Daisy. Lucky to have blue hyacinths.  Ours decided not to appear this year.  No winter, no rain, no bulbs flowering. I try not to be jealous of Fermi' s colorful bulbs.  How are your beautiful roses?  You have not posted any photos lately. My Pierre de Ronsard has ONE bud.  In the last three years this will be the second flower.  The plant consists of two upright sticks and two side shouts on one of them.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:19:52 AM by Alisdair »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Daisy

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 11:09:49 AM »
Have faith with your Pierre de Ronsard rose Charithia.  Some deep mulching after a few washing up bowls of water might help.

Fleur I do more sitting in the garden than anything else these days :o

Umbrian I am sorry about your viburnum, I am afraid that unless it gets a lot cooler for a while, your sweet peas might finish early too. Hopefully your roses will last throughout the summer.
Daisy
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Trevor Australis

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 01:16:29 AM »
There are heaps of 'other' hyacinths too. Two that are blue, and about the same height are Scilla hohenackeri and Scilla bithynica - my spelling may be incorrect, the dog is sleeping on my lap so I don't want to disturb her by getting up to check in a book! They are easy from seed too. I have just sown down seeds of Hyacinthella too.
I got them from Oron P. Then there is always plain, but excellent, Hyacinthus orientalis and the delightful Roman hyacinths. All lovely shades of blue, and best of all they naturalise if they find the situation to their liking.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Hilary

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 06:31:58 AM »
Hyacinthus orientalis

A few Hyacinths flowering in the Royal Botanic Garden Madrid
In April 2018

Hyacinthus orientalis is mentioned in
A CONTAINER GARDEN IN MELBOURNE
By Kaye Cossar Stokes
THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 28, April 2002
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 12:03:32 PM »
I love the blue ones. They are standing up unlike ours that no sooner they flower they flop over looking untidy.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.