• 13 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Lovely to visit the Forum this morning and see so many new posts - mostly from stalwart members who I am sure, like myself, enjoy sharing their gardening experiences. Perhaps it will encourage a few more to join in more regularly.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

Re: Posts
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 02:15:40 PM »
I am amazed at just how many people seem to look at the posts. I check the numbers  daily for the two postage stamp threads I add to  so that I know that it is worthwhile continuing,
For the last two weeks the minimum for the stamps of the world thread  was 35 and the maximum 118.
The numbers for the Greek stamps are much smaller, minimum 2 and maximum 32, but on the other hand I have  fewer Greek stamps to add.
The conclusion being that as long as I have stamps to add I will continue  sporadically
To give some colour to this post I am attaching a scan of some UK stamps in the pipeline
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 06:00:36 PM »
Hilary, you are doing a wonderful job.  I enjoy looking at the forum every morning and find your stamp postings very interesting. I also like the information that goes with them.  It must take time to look for the correct MGS issue and the specific pages. I have been having a quick look at the forum but had not time to write up.  I have been busy with finishing more mosaic works for the new raffle that will take place on the 1st of June to raise funds for finishing the Church garden.  I have finally finished the table this evening.  Hopefully I will have more time to 'post' pictures.   My photographic skills are limited  despite the new camera I received for my birthday last year. My iPad is my camera and my note book. At times is a choice of posting a bad photograph or none at all.  There are so many lovely Salvias in bloom but difficult to capture their beauty. I am posting two photos of the tables I did. the second needs to be grouted tomorrow morning.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 06:24:27 PM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 10:21:37 PM »
I too much appreciate the time and effort put in by you Hilary. The stamps are very often beautiful in themselves but then there is the  info you add and the referencing to the MGS journal. Please do keep on. That is if you have more stamps to show us. What a collection you must have.

Charithea's mosaics are wonderful too. Now, would it be possible to get the Post Office to produce a series of stamps depicting Charithea's mosaics which depict flowers which have appeared in the MGS journal at some time? There's a challenge.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 02:04:19 PM »
Hi.  I chose to put my photos under posts as it covers different elements. John has already posted  photographs of roses and other flowers we saw on our last trip with the MGS so I will post my personal ones. The first photo contains plants that were brought to me by David Dickinson.  I have complained many times about the difficulty of obtaining different plants here so he offered to get me some from Italy. He brought them on the train from Rome to Frascati.  It was the topic of conversation for the fist two days in our group. Some of the gardeners fell in love with the Clerodendrum ugandense;  it had beautiful pale- blue butterfly like flowers on in it and some loved the dark red flowers of the Calycanthus floridus. Both plants had to be pruned so they would fit in my hand luggage the rest went in the suitcase. During the trip I housed them in the bathroom to begin with then bused them to Todi where they lived on the balcony of our room, finally they boarded two planes and arrived to Cyprus. They are thriving in our hot garden.  Umbrian said' Where there is will there is way' and it is true in this instance. Of course there must also be luck.  Finding the right kind of person who would go out of his way to acquire the plants.  David thank you. Names of plants besides those already mentioned are: Salvia Martinus Borg, four Salvia guaraniticas of different intensity of the colour blue, one S guaranitica Costa Rica, Salvia spathacea,Sedum thundercloud.  I also got two Salvias from Umbrian and a present of Salvia Love and Wishes from Sonia Vives who bought one for herself to take to Spain.  I was sad to give away some other plants but I thought it was better to keep them alive instead of squashing them in the suitcase.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 03:27:10 PM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 05:45:57 AM »
Lovely post Charithea showing the kinship that exists between avid gardeners. Hope all your new acquisitions survive and thrive.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 09:51:58 AM »
In addition to Umbrian's comments, which I share, it is worth mentioning that you modestly forget to mention Charithea that you too brought plants over with you for others. I now have a Salvia indica and a Cyprinia gracilis in my garden. I am not the only one who benefited from your kindness. Many thanks. 

I too was taken with Calycanthus floridus and have ordered myself a plant. Thanks for introducing that plant to me.  :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Hilary

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
Having a rest during the spring cleaning I came across this post. How thrilling plants coming and going
Looking up Calycanthus I realised that we had seen one once, quite by chance, when we were leaving the gardens of the Topkapi
There was an exhibition of Ottoman tents tucked away in a corner and this bush was on our way
Here is my e mail to my friends .

Calycanthus occidentalis = California Allspice, Jamaican Pepper
Seen in the gardens of the Topkapi at Constantinople in June 2001
Hilary
8th February, 2011.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 06:54:48 AM »
David, the Calycanthus floridus and Clerodendrum ugandense, or as I believe we now have to get used to calling it, Rotheca myricoides, are putting on new growth from where they had to be cut back to fit into the hand luggage.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 07:00:44 AM »
Just remembered this photo that I took of a Calycanthus floridus flower on a shrub in one of the nurseries we visited on the recent Umbria trip.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 08:56:40 AM »
Good to see that they haven't suffered so much because of their travels. I have put my very small Calycanthus floridus which I brought back from the UK a couple of weeks ago into a pot and I am waiting for it to take off before I plant it out. Fingers crossed but it seems to be okay.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 05:41:31 AM »
Can you remember in which nursery you photographed the Calycanthus John? Had they plants for sale?
Several years ago I ' rescued' a rather neglected specimen from a local nursery that was having a sale. It settled well and even produced a few flowers the following spring but then succumbed to a particularly hot summer. I love the unusual colour of the flowers and of course the wonderful perfume.

John J

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 07:08:36 AM »
Yes I can, Carole, it was called Vivai Tara and was near the village of Bolsena I believe. They had some very large specimens in pots, like the one I took the flower photo from but I don't recall seeing any smaller plants. I'm sure they must have them though in order to grow them on to that size. Hope this helps.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 08:12:01 AM »
Thanks John- always good to learn of a new source of interesting plants.