Crocus virus?

• 3 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Crocus virus?
« on: March 28, 2018, 08:03:30 AM »
These crocus leaves started out straight but have now become twisted - is this a virus?
The bulb next to this plant never did grow properly the leaves being bent over and remaining tightly together. I suppose I should get them out immediately and destroy them?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Crocus virus?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 08:06:52 AM »
Just to clarify the 'photo - the second bulb is in front of the ' corkscrew' leaved one - lying horizontally. (The larger leaves are emerging Agapanthus)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 08:45:56 AM »
Carole, My guess is frost damage after your dire weather. There have been somewhat similar signs on some bulb leaves here in Sussex, that emerged early in our warm Jan/Feb weather then were hit by the unusually sharp frosts of March.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 10:34:24 AM »
Thanks Alisdair - will leave them in situ for now.