Nerine oleanders

• 5 Replies

gertrude

Nerine oleanders
« on: March 25, 2018, 09:30:33 AM »
HELP  not only the olive trees have been affected by the strange weather this winter but many of the Nerine oleanders also, including many in our garden.  Is there any hope of recovering them,  what would be  the best plan of action.  See photo for the damage incurred.
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Nerine oleanders
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 11:09:51 AM »
Jan, I'd wait a bit to see if any growing buds show on the damaged stems, and if they do, cut back to the growing buds. If no buds do show, cut back to the ground, and the plants should regrow from the base.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 07:12:25 PM »
Alisdair
The rain and wind stopped so I went out looking for the yellow Oleander
The bush is quite near here and very strange about one third produces pink flowers and the other third the yellow flowers.
There were not many flowers on it but I did manage to get a photo with both colours .
The bush looked healthy after all the rain but the flowers were pretty battered 
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 07:42:22 AM »
How interesting! Thanks very much for the picture. Perhaps originally the yellow was grafted on a pink understock, and gradually the understock has sprouted more - it's probably more vigorous, too.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

gertrude

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 08:24:09 AM »
Jan, I'd wait a bit to see if any growing buds show on the damaged stems, and if they do, cut back to the growing buds. If no buds do show, cut back to the ground, and the plants should regrow from the base.
How interesting! Thanks very much for the picture. Perhaps originally the yellow was grafted on a pink understock, and gradually the understock has sprouted more - it's probably more vigorous, too.

I

Regarding the Oleanders which had been badly damaged y the frost earlier in the year,  the ones that were cut back are now doing really well, whereas the few that were left uncut, are still struggling,  I will cut them back in the autumn and i think they will hen catch up.
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 10:49:18 AM »
It is a similar story here in Rome. Winter destroyed so many beautiful Oleanders. Those that were left for dead look bad but are coming back. Those which were chopped down to ground level are really thriving . Lots of new growth from ground level. They are not back to the full height that they were last summer, that will take a few years I imagine. But they are a most beautiful vibrant green.

As for the yellow variety, it seems to be becoming more popular. a few years ago I knew of only 2 or 3 examples in Rome. While pink and white are still the predominant colours, yellow is definitely on the increase. Sometimes cream with a yellow centre, others pale yellow with a darker yellow centre.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.