Strangler plant ID'd by Jorun as parasitic dodder (Cuscuta sp.)

• 4 Replies

Verity

Please can anyone tell me what this is and how is best to get rid of it.  We have been away for a couple of months and I find my sage plant covered in these red threads.  I think they arrived with some oregano last year but now I see it as a potential major problem.  Should I cut the sage down to the ground or spray what is there with something.
I have pulled lots of it off but will never get rid of all of it that way.
Help would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 05:47:04 PM by Alisdair »
Verity Hughes,
Trimiklini, Cyprus
600m above sea level

John J

Re: Strangled plant
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 11:26:23 AM »
Hi Verity, I've seen Red Thread as a fungal disease on lawns but never growing through plants like this. I'm sure one of our members will be able to shed some light on the problem.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
Re: Strangled plant
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »
It looks like, dodder, Cuscuta sp., maybe Cuscuta europea? I would get rid of it as soon as possible, preferably burn it. I bought a basil with a similar threadlike growth that nearly suffocated the plant and I was advised to destroy it immediately before it spread to my other plants. I believe that was Cuscuta epithymun, which is paler, but which behaves in the same way. Dodder can be highly invasive, see more about this parasitic plant here ftp://https://web.stanford.edu/~cbross/dodder.html .

P7086528.jpg
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:31:19 PM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Strangler plant ID'd by Jorun as parasitic dodder (Cuscuta sp.)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 09:11:51 AM »
Amazing parasitic plant - thanks for the link Jorun made fascinating reading.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Verity

Re: Strangler plant ID'd by Jorun as parasitic dodder (Cuscuta sp.)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 03:41:43 PM »
Thank you very much, will cut sage down to the ground and check regularly to make sure it does not re-emerge.
Verity Hughes,
Trimiklini, Cyprus
600m above sea level