A purple-flowered climber ID'd by John J as Hardenbergia violacea

• 6 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Melina Daff has posted a message on the MGS facebook page www.facebook.com/mediterraneangardensociety asking for an ID; help, please!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 10:00:53 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

Re: A purple-flowered climber
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 09:35:33 AM »
Alisdair, have you tried Hardenbergia violacea?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: A purple-flowered climber
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 10:00:23 AM »
John, big thanks for that. The foliage looks just right (picture's not very sharp on the flowers)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

Re: A purple-flowered climber ID'd by John J as Hardenbergia violacea
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
This is our plant taken a few minutes ago. In the rain I might add, not heavy but in our position we're grateful for all we can get! :'(
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 03:20:35 PM »
Lovely, John. I've passed your ID on but don't think Melina Daff has yet picked it up. I'm sure she'll be very grateful to know.
Alisdair Aird

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 09:36:08 PM »
I took a photo of my white Hardenbergia yesterday and also had a problem getting the flowers in focus.  Not the first time I have had this problem and I know a "bad workman always blames his tools" but I put it down to using a very amateur camera. I presume it is the same species, though how you tell the Hardenbergia species apart I don't know. I wonder how the flowers will fare with their current thick blanket of snow and the way below 0C temperatures predicted for tonight and tomorrow night?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:25:57 AM »
John: Melina Daff says thanks very much. And David - good luck with your snow and ice! Alessandra Vinciguerra posted a video of it snowing even among the subtropical plants in La Mortella on Ischia, which you can see by clicking here
Alisdair Aird