International Garden Photographer 2018

• 3 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
International Garden Photographer 2018
« on: February 09, 2018, 08:18:43 AM »
I was pleased to see that the winning photograph in this competition was awarded to a Brazilian who captured the beauty of a natural "garden" with his stunning shot entitled
"Cerrado Sunrise" featuring Paepalanthus chiquitensis.
It was taken in the Cerrado area of N Brazil and illustrates the magical beauty of plants growing in their favoured habitats. Attention was drawn to the " countless filaments" caught by the first light of the sun.
I found the article on the BBC news website and on googling the name of the plant found another site with photos of the plant that already has this photo plus others from the competition. Well worth a look - sorry I am not sufficiently computer savvy to include exact site information to click on!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: International Garden Photographer 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 08:36:31 AM »
Thanks so much, Carole! People can find Marcio Cabral's stunning pictures by clicking here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Charithea

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:35:15 PM »
What beautiful photos.  Thank you both.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Caroline

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 09:56:35 PM »
I agree - absolutely stunning. Makes me resolve to try harder (not today, though, it is pouring with rain) :(
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline