monster lumpy orange

• 2 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
monster lumpy orange
« on: February 08, 2018, 08:17:51 AM »
Just an observation to share...

I manage the communal gardens in a development in Prodromi, on the western edge of Cyprus. This time of year, I spend a lot of time picking up the fallen fruit from the citrus trees. One of the sour orange trees, which had a crop of several hundred unremarkable fruit, had one exceptional one. It was about twice the diameter and very lumpy.

I guess fruit, like shoots, are subject to one-off abnormalities/sports. My photos show another such abnormality (a straight recessed greenish line). I would be intrigued to know where on the tree the lumpy monster came from, to see if more such fruit arise from it next year. But being a windfall, I'm out of luck on that score.

BTW, I there is a mandarin called 'Golden Nugget', which looks quite similar
- http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5093/5587988886_1a3c95794a_z.jpg
[from http://www.foodlibrarian.com/2011/04/golden-nugget-mandarins.html]
Unlike that, however, my fruit has a very thick rind (last photo).

Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Umbrian

• Email
Re: monster lumpy orange
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 08:53:24 AM »
I think the monster lumpy mandarin is rather beautiful Mike - did it perhaps grow such a thick skin to protect the fruit inside after some kind of attack?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: monster lumpy orange
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 09:02:05 AM »
There is no sign of infestation or malady inside (I cut it open only this morning), and I get the feeling from the uniformity of the lumpiness and thickness of the rind, that it is a more general response. But general only within the scope of this single fruit.
I feel it is not a gall-like cellular response to some evolved or accidental stimulus from an esoteric agent.

Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England