Onions

• 4 Replies

JaneAnn

• Email
Onions
« on: January 02, 2018, 03:30:37 PM »
We live in an exposed site above the bay in Kissamos.   Our neighbour gave me the root of an onion - I think he was interested to see if it grew!  Well, it lived in water in a shot glass on the window sill in the living room and sprouted soon after.  It now has a very healthy long green shoot (about 2.5cm) but what do I do with ONE onion now?  Our neighbour was thrilled when I told him it had taken so I would not want to disappoint him...!   Do I pot it on and keep it on the window sill indoors?  If so, where and when do I plant it out and will it produce sets of its own in due course?  I know that when planted outdoors it will need well fed soil (ours isn't great) so any tips on what to dig in would be welcome.  Our garden centre seems only to have compost and our garden is very new (it was mostly builders' rubble and poor white soil).
Thank you!
Jane Curbishley

JTh

• Email
Re: Onions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »
There is lots of information about growing cut-off vegetables on the internet. I made a quick search and I have selected some tips:

Here’s another simple one. Just place an onion bottom in the ground and it will regenerate its roots. Once roots appear, remove the old onion bottom and allow the roots to grow. Harvest when onions are fully grown (https://foodrevolution.org/blog/reduce-food-waste-regrow-from-scraps/).
and
Onions are one of the easiest vegetables to propagate. Just cut off the root end of your onion, leaving a ˝ inch of onion on the roots. Place it in a sunny position in your garden and cover the top with soil. Ensure the soil is kept moist. Onions prefer a warm sunny environment, so if you live in a colder climate, keep them in pots and move them indoors during frostier months.
As you use your home-grown onions, keep re-planting the root ends you cut off, and you’ll never need to buy onions again
(https://www.google.no/search?q=cut-off+vegetables+how+to+grow&oq=cut-off+vegetables+how+to+grow&aqs=chrome..69i57.24101j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8).

But if soil is scarse, why not try growing it in a pot, see: https://thegardeningcook.com/growing-onion-bottoms/

Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 04:41:45 AM »
Hi Jane,
I've often planted out onions which have sprouted and they usually run to seed rather than form a bulb :(
However the seed can be sown and you can have dozens of onions instead of just one ;D
All the best for whatever you decide to do - I know what it's like when someone gives you a plant - you really want to keep it going to avoid disappointing the donor!
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 09:43:05 AM »
Given where you are, I think you'd find it happier planted in the shade of a not-too-leafy tree (e.g. olive) than in the sun, and watered as often as you can
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JaneAnn

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 01:24:34 PM »
Thank you everyone!  I will put it in a pot for the moment (it has 2 long shoots now!) and then plant it in the shade under an olive tree and see how it does.  Good tip about re-planting the bottom ends each time you use an onion.