Plant identified by Oron Peri as Iris sibirica

• 6 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Plant identified by Oron Peri as Iris sibirica
« on: December 21, 2017, 02:09:56 AM »
It is growing in a garden in Leeds  UK and flowered there last May. I have been given a clump and I am wondering where to put it in Rome. Full sun in Leeds and full sun in Rome are not quite the same thing. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 08:57:56 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Can anybody help with the identification of this?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 07:19:45 AM »
David it is Iris sibirica,  it should do ok in Rome but must be kept in a cool place during summer.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: David's Iris sibirica
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 08:57:14 AM »
... and it likes plenty of moisture.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Plant identified by Oron Peri as Iris sibirica
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 02:49:33 AM »
Thanks to both Oron and Alisdair. There have never been water restrictions in Rome, though they were threatened last summer for the first time in decades, We are hovering around zero in the early morning now so we can offer our Iris friend some cool weather. Bearing in mind that summer days are rarely below 35°C and sometimes around 40°C, do you think I should give some afternoon shade or let it bake?

Thanks again for the identification.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 08:45:00 AM »
I'd say some summer shade, to be on the safe side. It does face extremely hot summer temperatures in some parts of its native range, but I suspect that in those regions it's found in the shadier cooler spots.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 12:26:10 PM »
Thanks. Rereading Oron's reply the answer was there already - my addled brain seems to have filtered out that part of his reply.

I'm sure everybody who is a member of the forum will join me in wishing you a happy Christmas and New Year and thanking you for all the hard work you do for us. Very much appreciated. Enjoy yourself over the holidays :)

John J

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 03:39:30 PM »
Hear, hear, every good wish for the Festive Season to the Moderators (Alisdair, Fleur and Oron) and to all who contribute to and/or read the Forum.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)