apple tree mites

• 1 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
apple tree mites
« on: October 25, 2017, 09:54:15 PM »
I have one 'Anna' apple, which has done well, and produced lovely fruit this year (though affected by 'sunburn' if left on the tree too long).

Part-way through the summer, the leaves became infested with a black and white mite, causing the usual mite-type mottled pale leaves. I can treat it, but I would like to know its name.  Google, for once, was not forthcoming. Can anybody identify it for me, please?
My apologies for not having a better close-up

Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: apple tree mites
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 06:55:51 PM »
Have you ruled out Tetranychus urticae, the two-spot mite, Mike? The damage looks typical, and your neat close-up makes it look as if it's doing some webbing.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society