Rose to be Identified Please

• 5 Replies

Soraya

Rose to be Identified Please
« on: October 11, 2017, 11:14:56 AM »
 Hello all! I am hoping someone will be able to help me identify a rose.

I'm a Canadian living in Southern France and just bought a house. A large rose plant came with it and I'd like to identify it so that I can learn more about when to prune it, how to care for it, etc. I've never seen the rose in flower, but it has some buds right now (middle of October!?) so I'm wondering if they will actually bloom? It is quite warm where I am, temperature highs of 20C to 25C all week and lows not falling below 14C.

I've attached a couple photos of the roses.

Many thanks!

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Rose to be Identified Please
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 10:21:29 PM »
I think we're all waiting for those buds to open. Identifying a rose without a bloom is pretty hard unless it has distinctive thorns.  I can always recognize a Mermaid for example from the gashes on my arms.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Caroline

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 12:03:45 AM »
Hi frenchmaple. I agree with Fleur -pretty difficult to identify the rose without a flower to send us in the right direction.  To me it looks as if it's an old-fashioned variety, in which case wait until February (by which time there should be few or no leaves) and cut out one of the big old nobbly stems right down to the ground.  Also trim off any dead bits.  The following year, cut out another old stem.  It should renew itself from the bottom.  In the event it's not that kind of rose, it won't do any harm.  Avoid cutting every stem down to 30 cm or so, as it may then turn into a thicket.  (I'm assuming you would like it to go up rather than out?)

Cheers
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 04:31:08 PM »
I'll take that very useful advice for an old rose I want to reinvigorate.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Soraya

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 08:01:05 AM »
Ta da! Hopefully these help....

Thank you Caroline for the info! Yes, the goal is for the rose to grow up rather then out.

Let me know if the flower tells you anything else about it. I appreciate the help :)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 08:03:29 AM by Soraya »

Caroline

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 09:35:49 PM »
Hi again Soraya.  I have three candidates - your rose could be "Allen Chandler", or "Hamburger Phoenix", or possibly "Blaze Superior". All are climbers of more or less vigour.  You should be able to find pictures via Google, and maybe narrow down the hunt according to whether your rose (which looks very attractive) has prominent yellow stamens or not. In any case, the pruning treatment is the same, and a feed of mulch and fertiliser never goes amiss! Good luck, and post a picture of the reinvigorated rose in due course.
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline