Squirrels

• 6 Replies

Hilary

Squirrels
« on: September 09, 2017, 07:17:40 PM »
My niece told me that this year she found two squirrels living in the eaves of her country house.
They spend the night running around, eat an apple each from her two apple trees and spend the day sleeping.
She would like to have them move to some other area of her property  where she has several trees..
Does any one have any ideas about how to persuade them to relocate?
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Caroline

Re: Squirrels
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 10:47:24 PM »
There are various pest-repelling devices which operate on a high-pitched frequency which animals can't stand.  I have one aimed at the rabbits which would otherwise happily munch their way through my veggie garden. The instructions said it would take a little while to deal to them, and it did, but I don't have rabbits eating my greens now, although there are plenty further afield.  I reckon any squirrel used to the good life in the attic would similarly be forced to move out!
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Hilary

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 05:43:01 AM »
Many thanks Caroline, I will pass on the information to my niece
MGS member

Caroline

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:11:12 PM »
Hilary, I forgot to add that my rabbit-scarer is a heavy-duty outdoor one.  However I know you can get smaller ones for rats and mice, which might work against squirrels. I want rodents dead, not just moved on, so I leave it up to my pair of Burmese cats. It does however mean the occasional offering in front of the bedroom door :-\
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Hilary

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 06:03:36 AM »
Thanks I will pass on your message.
My great nephew told me that the gadget you told me about was the only thing they had not thought of
MGS member

Caroline

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »
Happy to help.  It's what I enjoy about belonging to this forum - the pooling of knowledge from around the world!

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 11:32:20 AM »
The few squirrels I've seen .in Greece have been quite dark in colour and rather small so I was surprised to learn that they were ordinary red squirrels, Sciurus vulgaris. I think I might be inclined to treat them as guests if I had them in the eaves. I've only got sparrows which make a dreadful noise running up and down the plastic guttering when they're showing off their territory at mating time.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece