• 20 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Bugs
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 03:59:40 PM »
Lygaeus saxatilis.
Piccy in Paul Sterry's 'Complete Mediterranean Wildlife' (Collins, 2000), p.168
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JTh

• Email
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 08:44:26 PM »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 09:17:03 PM »
Lygaeus seems to be synonymous with Spilostethus, hence some images can be found under Spilostethus saxatilis.
(I can't be sure it is synonymy of genera per se; it could be part of a larger rearrangement of species within genera in the Lygaeidae or Lygaeinae.)
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

The Cypriot

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 12:00:31 PM »
Thank you for the identification of the beetle.

I do know that these are ladybirds!

JTh

• Email
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 01:40:19 PM »
You could use those as Christmas cards.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 07:04:13 AM »
Nice observation.
They are seven-spot ladybirds - Coccinella septempunctata.
Mike