small tree - ID'd by JohnJ as Faidherbia albida

• 2 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« on: August 28, 2017, 09:04:51 PM »
Please can somebody point me in the right direction?

There is a small colony (~50 plants) of these small shrubby trees (up to 5m tall) by the roadside in Skoulli, near Polis, western Cyprus. This is the only location I have ever seen this species.

Most of the info is in the photos, but also:
- the flowers,: I suspect they might be insignificant, else surely I would have noticed them (I'l been driving past the colony for 8 years)
- the seed pods: almost completely solid; just a thin sliver of a gap in the middle, where small flat dark seeds lie; up to 5cm long

Thanks,
Mike
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:57:35 AM by Alisdair »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

Mike, your trees are Faidherbia albida. It comes originally from Africa and isn't all that common in Cyprus but Skoulli is one of the places that it can be found. They used to be included in the Acacia genus and are known as White Acacia.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 07:26:50 AM »
Excellent - thank you very much John // Mike
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:29:31 AM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England