Tetraclinis propagation?

• 2 Replies

JayB

Tetraclinis propagation?
« on: August 24, 2017, 09:54:36 AM »
Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody has any tips for growing the species Tetraclinis from seed or if it is even possible to strike some cuttings?

I seem to have a little micro colony of these trees around so can easily grab some seed pods or a few cuttings but I am finding very little and conflicting info about them.
The berries are cracking open now so I guess they are getting ready for the Autumn storms so it would seem now would be a good time to collect viable seed.

But other than just planting them out do they need any type of cold stratification(probably not would be my guess) or should they be soaked in water over night or anything else for that matter.

Maybe it would be easier to try cuttings, being similar to a Cypress they should work in a similar way?

Hopefully somebody is familiar with this species and can give me a pointer or two.
G'day from an Aussie in Spain. Currently attempting a total garden overhaul.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Tetraclinis propagation?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 07:21:47 AM »
I have seen this very attractive plant in Morocco. All I know about its cultivation is that it's apparently highly dependent on mycorrhizal activity, so maybe you should get the best results if you use at least some soil from around the roots of existing plants. You're really lucky to have the chance!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JayB

Re: Tetraclinis propagation?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 08:49:13 AM »
Thank you Alisdair for the reply.
That is one of the things I have read too, there doesn't seem to be a lot of English language info about them around.

It might look a bit odd out digging some soil from the base but I can probably do that, the soil here is very poor and heavy but no reason why I can't try some with and some without.

They are a lovely tree and not really supposed to grow around here but my guess is someone had planted them as hedging years ago and the birds have spread them. They only appear in the few blocks around our neighbourhood.
I will definitely try out the soil mixing idea.
G'day from an Aussie in Spain. Currently attempting a total garden overhaul.