Climbing roses

• 26 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Climbing roses
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 12:57:37 PM »
In Australia the perfume of Crépuscule struck us as very strongly fragrant, Daisy - either because of the climate, or because of the sheer mass of blossom!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 05:20:52 PM »
Would any of these roses mentioned by Daisy, Trevor and Alisdair be suitable for really dry conditions, with intense sunlight and frequent strong drying winds? Bearing in mind that the banksian rose "Alba plena" doesn't do too well.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 06:14:10 PM »
I think your difficulty would be getting them started, Alice; I think all those luscious roses will need to be cossetted enough to keep them from drying out completely in harsh winds, in their first couple of years, but once they get their roots really down into the rock cracks probably most of them would be pretty resilient. In a hot bed facing SW on chalk, in our French garden (not to be compared with your fierce conditions, but it does get very dry and hot in summer) Climbing Lady Hillingdon always looks good still at the end of summer. On a mainly shady wall there Aimée Vibert is fantastic (and virtually thornless - a great asset in a climber, as Mermaid's many admirers will ruefully admit); it also at least survives in our own hot Greek garden, and for friends there that we've given it to. Of the plants mentioned by Trevor, Alister Stella Gray has flourished in our most exposed and windy (French) site, looking fine after this unusually hot dry summer there. And at the end of the fiercest heat Général Schablikine burst into abundant bloom with the very first rain. All these plants, though, in the French garden, are at least 20 years old, most around 30, so their root systems are probably extraordinarily extensive now.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 08:12:26 AM »
Thanks, Alisdair.
I shall see what I can get from Peter Beales or David Austin. I would really like a thornless climber/rambler to cover a pergola, which would flower from spring to autumn. Preferably red or bright pink and strongly scented. Do I ask a lot?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 09:35:09 AM »
What about Zephirine Drouhin - seems to meet all your requirements :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alice

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »
Looks beautiful, Carole. What about heat/wind/drought tolerance?

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 05:12:07 AM »
When I was first planting my garden here in Italy I had it in rather an exposed position against one of several poles lining either side of a small walkway.  Everything was newly planted and there was not much relief from the elements. It did not flourish and so I moved it to the north facing wall of the old tobacco drying tower on our property and, to be perfectly honest more or less forgot about it. There it has performed much better but has been outshone by Mme. Isaac Pereire (given the same treatment) - this one however is not thornless. I am no Rose buff but value both for their perfume. Obviously with a wall behind them they receive protection from winds that can be pretty violent here at times and, they are not in full sunshine all day but mine is a waterwise garden and they receive no irrigation. Hope this helps :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 06:36:57 AM »
There is a paler version of Zephrine Drouhin too and don't forget Climbing Pinkie. Blue Boy is virtually thornless and a moderate grower - a pillar rose I you like. As I recall Blairii No. 2 has few thorns - it's a Bourbon and the Boursault Mme Sancy de Parbere is definitely thornless.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alice

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 12:09:35 PM »
Many thanks for the extra suggestions, Trevor.
Mme Sancy de Parabere sounds as if it ticks most of the boxes.

Anne-Marie

• Email
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 04:12:43 PM »
Yes, late this last April a Banksian Rose we have in the Peloponnese, on a south-facing wall with no summer watering, was flowering more profusely than we've ever seen it before.
I came on to this site via Parea sti mani because I want to grow a single yellow (ideally) rosa banksiae in my garden in the Mani, nr Kardamyli but in the mountains so occasionally with frost. In the UK I think I can only buy bare rooted  in Nov/Dec, so I need to buy one in the Peloponnese. Has any-one got any suggestions?
I garden with more enthusiasm in Greece than in Norfolk, but with even less knowledge.

Daisy

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 06:56:33 AM »
Anne-Marie, If you don't have any luck finding a Rosa banksia in the Peloponnese, Peter Beales or other growers, will post an order to you.
That is how I got all of my roses, except one which I found in a local garden centre.
Daisy  :)

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/index.php
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Daisy

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 08:42:30 AM »

My husband took this photo for me of The New Dawn in the apricot tree with Blush Noisette beside it.
It hurts that I have missed a lot of the first flush of my roses this year being laid up with a broken leg.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS