bush with three-lobed leaves ID'd by John J as Brousonnetia papyrifera

• 2 Replies

JTh

• Email
Could anybody please help me with the identification of this bush covering the hillside along the Akropoleos street between the old city wall and the church Agios Pavlos in Thessaloniki? The vegetation was quite dense, so I couldn’t see what the trunks were like, the leaves were large, three-lobed, serrate, greyish-green and possibly slightly hairy. I have searched the internet and the only leaves I found which look similar were those of the tree marigold, Tithonia diversifolia, but I have never seen that in Greece and it is most likely something else.  No flowers yet.

P7126566.jpg View from Agios Pavlos, Thessaloniki
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr

P7126565.jpg Unknown plant
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 08:20:48 AM by Alisdair »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

Re: Identification of bush with three-lobed leaves
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 04:57:59 AM »
Jorun, the only thing that comes to mind when looking at those leaves is Brousonnetia papyrifera. Could they have been cut down to keep them growing low? Sorry, that's all I can come up with.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
Re: Identification of bush with three-lobed leaves
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 09:11:45 AM »
Thank you, I believe you are right, John. I found a reference to this in an article 'The vascular flora of the Byzantine Walls of Thessaloniki'  Nikos Krigas, et al. (Willdenowia, 29(1/2):77-94).
Published by the Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin (BGBM) , http://www.bioone.org/doi/pdf/10.3372/wi.29.2907

Here it is described as one of the 28 xenophytes which are successfully established and well represented in the surroundings of the wall. It is not mentioned as a threat in any way, although it is described as a terribly invasive weed in many other countries.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.