Thryptomene

• 8 Replies

KatG

• Email
Thryptomene
« on: June 24, 2017, 07:13:07 AM »
Does anyone have any experience of growing this plant?
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Thryptomene
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 03:42:53 PM »
The genus is endemic to Australia; we grow a couple in our garden in raised beds and they tolerate frost down to -7oC.
It is grown a lot for the cut flower trade as the bunches of small flowers are good "fillers" in bouquets,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

KatG

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 06:54:47 PM »
Thanks Fermi, I don't think frost will be a problem here!  And I guess it's pretty drought proof.
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

Janet Ibbotson

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 07:03:50 AM »
I have a couple in my unirrigated garden and they survive the summer drought but don't look very attractive because the branches die back.
Janet Ibbotson
MGS Member currently based in Skopelos, Greece but also gardens in Norfolk

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 11:58:27 AM »
I didn't recognize the name so I googled it to find that it's a familiar cut flower used in mixed bouquets at my local florist. I never imagined I could actually try to grow it. Do you remember where you got it from, Janet?
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Janet Ibbotson

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 06:37:49 AM »
I can no longer find their details.  It was a huge place but all I can remember is that we had to take the last turning before Athens airport and then go cross country to get to them.  I will ask Nikos who runs my local garden centre if they are still operating and see if he still has their details.
Janet Ibbotson

Janet Ibbotson

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 03:21:39 PM »
Hi Fleur,  It was www.gardenlandplants.gr also called Interplant.  My impression at the time was that they dealt with professionals rather than individuals and I went there through my nurseryman.  Their current website seems to indicate its for professionals as well.  I ordered a lot of plants and the at nursery quality was good and they had a wider selection than I've seen anywhere else.  There's a map (they are at Koropi) and contact information on the website.  I dealt with John Mellios at jmellios@gardenplants.gr.  I imagine he is a Yiannis.  It was about 5 years ago so I don't know if he still works there.  Janet
Janet Ibbotson

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 03:53:33 PM »
Many thanks. In fact I know the nursery and visit it about once a year because it's close by, but as you say they are not really a retail outlet so I take my husband to sweet talk them while I potter round. I'll keep Thryptomene in mind when next I go, I keep trying with Australians although mostly without success.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

KatG

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 03:49:34 PM »
I bought mine at one of the nurseries in Kalamata, should you ever be passing!  It is flourishing in a pot, with regular watering.