Limoniastrum monopetalum

• 5 Replies

John J

Limoniastrum monopetalum
« on: February 14, 2017, 02:12:01 PM »
We acquired a new plant today, one that I had not seen before, a Limoniastrum monopetalum. Any forumers had experience of growing this plant? Its foliage seems very tough, rather reminds me of Atriplex halimus that grows near the sea here in Cyprus. Will probably try it in well-drained soil in an area with other grey/green foliage plants.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 08:36:45 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

KatG

• Email
Re: Limoniastrum monopetalum
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 06:22:28 PM »
John, I posted pictures of this on Plant ID on the 13/12/13. They were taken at Park Guell, Barcelona, where the plants were thriving. I tried it in my garden, but it didn't thrive. I suspect it got too dry while I was away. Although the plants in Barcelona were trailing down a wall, the one I bought was quite stiff and didn't seem as though it wanted to trail, but it was a small plant.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 08:36:55 AM by Alisdair »
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

Alice

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 08:04:15 PM »
John, it is very tough and very easy. Looks after itself and is quite vigorous. Good ground-cover. We even have one growing under a tamarisk!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 08:37:10 AM by Alisdair »
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 07:42:00 AM »
Katerina and Alice, thanks for the information. Looking at the plant I have I would never have guessed that it was a sprawler. I'll have to think again about where I had intended to plant it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 08:37:20 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 09:00:50 AM »
Hi there,
I have this photo in my flower photo collection.
The  photo was taken  in the Ancient Agora, Athens on the 18th June 209.
I don't know where I got the name from but there is a board in the Agora explaining about the planting with pictures of the various plants and trees.

This plant was quite tall about 40 to 50 cms high
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 10:34:40 AM »
Our plant has flowered for the first time. It is quite small but is still standing stiffly to attention and showing no signs of a tendency to sprawl.