Not having much luck with birds so far this year

• 1 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Not having much luck with birds so far this year
« on: June 18, 2017, 10:08:37 PM »
To the north of me there is only one house and fields. The house has been empty for some time but the owner came by a couple of weeks ago and started a mass tidying up. The Nightingale moved on :-(

Now for some inexplicable reason a pair of normally shy Subalpine Warblers have decided to build a nest in a Bougainvillea about a foot from my back door. If they had bothered to tell me, I wouldn't have started to rake off dead bracts in the dark. It was only when I did this that I realised the nest was there. The bird flew out in panic and either I or she knocked at least one egg onto the floor. I will inspect fully tomorrow to see if there are other smashed eggs around. If they do decide to persevere and lay a full clutch it means that I will have no natural light in the bathroom for the duration as I won't be able to open the shutter. I'll also have to tiptoe gently when coming and going from the house. 
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Not having much luck with birds so far this year
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:02:43 AM »
Ooops, translated the Italian "Occhiocotto" as Subalpine rather than Sardinian Warbler. Sorry.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.