Euphorbia in London waste ground ID'd by Caroline as Euphorbia lathyris

• 3 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
It was growing in London on waste ground but may be a garden escape as the plants were very close to gardens on all sides. About 18 inches high. Single stem. 3 drooping flowers just about to open. Lots of straight, narrow, dark green leaves up the stem with very striking white mid-rib.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:20:39 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Can anybody help with the identification of this Euphorbia?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 08:56:53 AM »
Sorry, can't count. Looks like 4 drooping flower heads.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Caroline

Re: Can anybody help with the identification of this Euphorbia?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 12:41:44 AM »
Looks like Caper Spurge Euphorbis lathyris to me. Poisonous, and the seeds are jet-propelled...
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

David Dickinson

• Email
Hi Caroline

Just noticed your reply now. Thanks very much for your help. The plant has recovered from its transplant and move to Rome and is now sending out lots of new leaves. :)