Does anybody grow Mentzelia lindleyi?

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Does anybody grow Mentzelia lindleyi?
« on: May 13, 2017, 01:53:07 PM »
I bought some seeds of this and they were very quick to come up. But they produced very few leaves and yet they produced flowers. I was away from home for 10 days and came back to find those which I had sown in situ had died. I still have one or two in pots which I will plant out but I was rather hoping they would fill in spaces and give flowers at the same time. I am only getting single flowers on very short plants with next to no foliage. Can anyone help?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Does anybody grow Mentzelia lindleyi?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 07:56:30 AM »
David, I've never tried this lovely-looking plant, but this California Native Plant Society website rather suggests that to grow well it may need a more temperate climate than Rome to thrive.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and current president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Does anybody grow Mentzelia lindleyi?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 10:16:58 PM »
Judging by their performance I think you are right Alisdair. Given that they are annuals I set the seed back at the beginning of February and I imagined they would be well developed by April and so miss the hottest part of the year. We have had no exceptionally hot weather yet and I was surprised that they flowered with so little foliage. They started to germinate within a few days. Let's see what happens over the next few weeks. If I get seed from this batch I might sow some in the autumn and see if they sprout then.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.