Orange and yellow Lotus-like flowers

• 2 Replies

JTh

• Email
Orange and yellow Lotus-like flowers
« on: May 10, 2017, 06:57:47 PM »
Does anybody know what this plant is? A steep hillside near the road was covered with these pea-flowering plants. The bright orange ones were quite striking and easily seen from far away, but there were almost as many of them that were pale yellow, otherwise identical with the orange ones. I have not been able to identify them, I am guessing they may be Lotus sp., but nothing in my books looks quite like these, the nearest is Lotus biflora or something like that., but the description does not fit. They were seen in Agios Nikolaos, Sithonia (Halkidiki).

_5107736.jpg Lotus sp.
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr

_5107732.jpg
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr

_5107723.jpg Lotus sp. by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:59:42 PM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Orange and yellow Lotus-like flowers
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 06:01:38 AM »
How about Hymenocarpus circinnatus?.........
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
Re: Orange and yellow Lotus-like flowers
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 12:25:04 PM »
Thank you for your suggestion, Cariol. There was very little information to be found about Hymenocarpus circinnatus, The Plant List doesn't even recognize the genus, and some of the few references mentioin that Anthyllus circinnatus is a synonym, which this is definitely not. The photos of Hymenocarpus circinnatus I found on the internet do not look quite like those I saw, the flowers of the latter are much bigger and the colour is either very orange, almost coppert-like, or pale yellow, and the plants seem to be more compact. I guess I have to come back in summer and look at the seeds to get any closer.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.