Not a morning glory -- ID'd as Aristolochia baetica by Hilary & Pallas

• 3 Replies

Pallas

• Email
In my bamboo hedge (yes, I know. It came with the house), there was a twining vine which I always unthinkingly ripped out when I saw it getting too frisky. I just assumed it was a morning glory, so I never looked at it too closely.

But the other day, there were round-oval, slightly ribbed seed pods on the vine, about 3 to 4cm in diameter: so, not a morning glory after all. So I've kept an eye on it and yesterday took the attached 3 photos. It's lovely: a dark red-purple, vase-shaped flower, like an orchid or one of the carnivorous plants, heart-shaped leaves. Stupidly, I didn't take photos of the seed pods.

Can anyone identify it?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:47:26 AM by Alisdair »
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

Hilary

Re: Not a morning glory -- but what is it?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 04:58:21 AM »
Hi Pallas,
I am not an expert on plant identifications and have never seen your mystery plant but it looks like something called Dutchman's pipe. I expect the experts are gallivanting on Sardinia at the moment
Hilary
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Pallas

• Email
Re: Not a morning glory -- but what is it?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 09:29:51 AM »
What a gloriously evocative name! A quick internet picture search for Dutchman's pipe shows that it could indeed be Aristolochia baetica -- Baetica being the Roman name for Andalucia which seems quite conclusive. Thank you very much, Hilary.

There are some real whoppers in Aristolochia -- some apparently reach 75 feet (I am metric, but that sounds LARGE!) -- and although not actually carnivorous, they give off a rotting meat scent (not in evidence, I am glad to say) to attract pollinators, which they imprison overnight and then allow to go their merry way.

A. baetica gets to about 4 metres, which is manageable and the flowers are lovely, so no more ripping out!

Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
http://www.mgsforum.org/smf/index.php?topic=105.msg232#msg232 is a whole thread on this interesting genus.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece