Weed IDd by Oron as Cyperus rotundus

• 4 Replies

Rosie

• Gardening in Portugal
Weed IDd by Oron as Cyperus rotundus
« on: August 30, 2011, 11:43:22 AM »
 Help needed for Algarve MGS member struggling to eradicate this. Any help gratefully received !
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:33:05 PM by Alisdair »

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Ident for a weed, please
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 12:42:47 PM »
Hi Rosie

This is Cyperus rotundus, considered to be 'The worse weed on the planet".
It can be found growing in more then 90 countries around the world.

It is a very hard task to get rid of it as it has deeb bulbs also it is resistant to chemicals.
'Roundup' might be a temporary solution but i suggest to ask your local farmers what product they use.

Oron
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:06:02 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Rosie

• Gardening in Portugal
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 12:50:54 PM »
Thank you, Oron.  I will pass on the good news to the afflicted gardener ..... and let you know how they get on !!

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »
Rosie, Cyperus rotundus is certainly one of the most difficult weeds to control in agriculture let alone in the garden. It is a perennial sedge. There are selective herbicides which are used but these are generally not available to the gardener.  For example I could control CYPRO (this abbreviation is often in industry. It comprises the first three letters of the generic name follwed by the first two letters of the specific name.  Try it.  It works 99 times out of 100) in maize/corn, peanuts/groundnuts, turf, etc.

The best product and safest in glyphosate but it takes time and patience. What I do is to mix up a container-full, fill up an empty squigy bottle (old washing-up liquid bottle) and simply squirt the offending weed. Adding some surfactant-washing-up liquid will help.  The problem with CYPRO is that there is virtually no target to aim at. Remember that glyphosate will kill anything green.  Several follow-up applications will be required.

Wear gloves and wash afterwards.  David
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Rosie

• Gardening in Portugal
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 06:05:34 PM »
Hello David, 

thanks for your words of wisdom, I will pass these on. I am pretty sure that glyphosate has been used but, as you say, has not got rid of the problem. The CYPRO is in a fairly contained area and the main thrust of activities so far has been to try and keep it there !