Pink Salvia confirmed as Salvia greggii

• 2 Replies

JTh

• Email
« on: April 27, 2017, 10:35:52 PM »
I found some pots with Salvia sp. at a local large wholesale nursery, but the owner did not remember the name and nothing was labelled. Does anybody recognize this one? The flowers were quite large, hot pink, the bud where dark purple. It could possibly be a Salvia greggii hybrid, but I'm just guessing.

P4276198.jpg Pink Salvia hybrid
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr

P4276202.jpg Pink Salvia hybrid

P4276197.jpg Pink Salvia hybrid
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:23:13 AM by Alisdair »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 08:22:39 AM »
Jorun, it is as you thought Salvia greggii; very like and possibly the same as one we grow called 'Royal Bumble' which also has those dark purple buds
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
Re: Pink Salvia confirmed as Salvia greggii
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 12:03:41 PM »
Thank you, Alisdair. Yes, it resembles the 'Royal Bumble', but the colour of the flowers is not right: this one has cerise-magenta-coloured flowers on very dark stems, with a touch of white at the 'throat'. It looks very much like Salvia microphylla 'Cerro Potosi' (common name: cherry sage); S. microphylla is a part of a botanical complex with S. greggii, S. muelleri and S. coahuilensis, I read. Anyhow, none of these need much water and they seem to be quite tough, so I hope they will get established here.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.