Gardenia thunbergia

• 8 Replies

John J

Gardenia thunbergia
« on: September 14, 2017, 03:36:58 PM »
This morning my wife returned from a visit to a plant nursery on the edge of the village where she had been collecting a few plants for a project that we are involved with in the village. She presented me with a large bloom that still held its scent despite looking a little past its best. (See photo). It was she said taken, with permission, from a tree in the nursery, a Gardenia thunbergia one of several that he had, some quite large. This I had to see as they are endemic to an area of southern Africa and rarely seen for sale, here in Cyprus at least. Sure enough the ones on display were tall, some with flowers and even ones with the distinctive large seed pods. When I say tall, I'm around 1.90 m and they were well over my head. Luckily he had a selection of smaller ones as I was afraid to even ask the price of the big ones. So we acquired one that I hope is around the height that they are said to begin blooming (1.5 m) or will soon reach it.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Gardenia thunbergia
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 01:51:58 PM »
I would never have guessed that it was a gardenia . A bit like the scruffy cousin.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 01:58:48 PM »
I take it back. Look at this huge specimen from Plantz Africa. I hope you have lots of space, John.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 03:53:27 PM »
You know my wife well, Fleur, for something like this she'll make space!  ::)
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »
How about begging for a seed pod from your nurseryman?

John J

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 02:02:40 PM »
I'm not sure that would work with this particular nurseryman, Fleur. He's an ex seaman who served as an officer on merchant vessels before starting up his nursery business. His passion for plants along with a 'prickly' customer relations attitude towards those he feels don't exhibit the necessary knowledge make him a little difficult to get along with. Fortunately his wife deals with most of the retail custom. It took Thea and myself a while to convince him that we knew what we were talking about and could converse with him on an equal footing. Sadly recently he has begun to show the symptoms of Parkinson's, a tremendous shame. Although it may be having the effect of mellowing him somewhat, as Thea says on her last visit they were reminiscing about parts of the world that they had both visited and he jokingly brought up the subject of Bugis Street in Singapore. This Forum is not a fit place to explain but old Singapore hands may know what I'm talking about. Anyway, he has jealously guarded the fact that he has been growing these plants from seed for the last 20 years so I don't think he would be keen to give any away.

Charithea

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 10:46:49 AM »
Hi Fleur.  Do you want a seed pod?  If so I might take the risk and ask him for one.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 08:42:22 AM »
Yes, please. Or I don't mind waiting until your plant has one!

Charithea

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 05:52:06 PM »
Hi Fleur. I took a deep breath and asked for the pod this morning. You will have to wait for ours to produce one unlesss  I catch the son in a helpful mood. Of course I could bring you one when we next visit or if you visit you can carry one back.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.