Lemon Tree Pruning.

• 0 Replies

Jane F

Lemon Tree Pruning.
« on: April 03, 2017, 01:44:57 PM »
We have recently started gardening in Lesbos, Greece, and have planted several trees, one of which is a lemon.  Due to the cold winters here, we have been told that lemon trees can be difficult, so I am a bit worried about pruning this one.  It is about 2 - 3 years old.
Last winter was particularly cold, with snow in the village and temperatures below -5 (apparently - we weren't here).  I covered the lemon tree with gardener's fleece at the end of last year, and it has rewarded me firstly by surviving, and secondly by sending up three long stems above the main 'bush'.  It is now throwing out shoots from both the lower area and at the top of the (completely bald) stems.
What I would like to do is prune off the top three to make a small compact tree - more easily covered next winter and rather more attractive!
Can anyone advise me as to whether this is a) a good idea, and b) a suitable time of year to do it.  Everyone seems to be pruning and pollarding away at their other trees at the moment, but I cannot see any other lemons being tended which might give me an answer.
Any advice would be gratefully received. 
New gardener in this part of the world - looking for advice at those 'tricky' moments!