Did v well during 2017 snow and cold - ID'd as Teucrium fruticans

• 5 Replies

hampan

• Email
Can someone name this - flowered through the 2016-17 winter so I want more of it.
Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:43:30 AM by Alisdair »

JayB

Re: Did v well during 2017 snow and cold
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 08:46:33 AM »
It's hard to tell from that picture as it is a bit small on my screen.
Is the foliage kind of velvety and soft and does it give off kind of a musty smell? The foliage that is, not the flowers.
G'day from an Aussie in Spain. Currently attempting a total garden overhaul.

hampan

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 08:53:20 AM »
I'll try and send a bigger picture.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 11:40:31 AM »
Looks like Teucrium fruticans; there are various forms, all good in mediterranean gardens, but they may vary in hardiness slightly. If you look through this forum's main thread on Teucriums you'll see that some have been undamaged by two weeks of ice and snow, while others have suffered tip burn in -8 deg C of frost.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

hampan

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 12:36:15 PM »
Thanks so much.  That's exactly what it is. Ours flowered all winter even w the snow. I've ordered seed of Teucrium hircanicum from Chantal and after reading the Teucrium page you mentioned I wish I'd added T flavum as well.
pat

Janet Ibbotson

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 07:43:19 PM »
Teucrium chamaedrys or wall germander gives good ground cover and doesn't seem to mind shade or some shade from pine trees - mine are evergreen with pinkish flowers.
Janet Ibbotson
MGS Member currently based in Skopelos, Greece but also gardens in Norfolk