Spring is looking lovely

• 11 Replies

Pallas

• Email
Spring is looking lovely
« on: March 30, 2017, 09:56:15 AM »
I love this time of year when everything bursts into growth. The (still) low sun backlights all the greens and new foliage and after a thunderstorm on Sunday night, everything looked newly born. Just an excuse to post some photos, because it all looked so lovely -- which is really the point, isn't it? I am guilty of sometimes forgetting the wood (seeing and enjoying the garden) for the trees (focusing on specific tasks on small areas).
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

Charithea

Re: Spring is looking lovely
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 05:40:02 PM »
I have been inspired by Pallas spring photographs to respond.  I  also get very enthusiastic about our garden.  I have had passers by telling me how lovely the flowers are. The occasional heavy rains we had have helped bring everything to life. The Rosa banksias  especially, scrambling on trees. I have taken many photos and when my computer was returned to me I transferred them.  I left them to get them sorted out later. We have been asked to plant the comunal gardens in the village and also clear and replace the dead plants in the surrounds of the church before Easter so was rather busy. I  tried to bring my photos up today and the computer tells me the file is empty. I shall try again when JJ comes back to Cyprus  and post them. 
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 07:18:46 AM »
Spring came very early in our area of Italy and weeks of clear blue skies and increasingly hot sunshine has meant that many spring flowers have been short lived and now the roses are bursting into bloom. A lack of rain is worrying and any weeding not accomplished early is now impossible with the ground rock hard.
One subject that has managed to keep going is my Jasminum Mesnyi which continues to look beautiful but with many things it is a matter of enjoy them while you can.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 01:24:23 PM »
I decided to post my Ipad photos since my camera is not co operating. The quality is not so good as I am a bad photographer but I wish to share some of the flowers in our garden now.  We have had some occasional showers but they have been heavy and the garden responded. Of course it also applies to the weeds and the snails. I have been trying to keep them under control and it is a loosing battle. I took most of the photos this morning when it was overcast. Apologies for any misnamed plants. My editor is still away.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:51:41 PM by Charithea »

Charithea

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 02:03:34 PM »
I am posting a photograph of our Rosa x damascenataken in December when it was very thirsty and some photos taken today to see how well it has recovered.

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 04:17:52 PM »
Wonderful photos, thank you for sharing! I felt self-indulgent putting up so many... but I love admiring your spring stars; gorgeous colours and roses showing again how tough they are. I am always inspired by seeing your gardens.

I am trying to get better at just *being* in my garden, looking and enjoying, rather than feeling obliged to weed or tidy or plan. Taking the photos really helps me with that -- plus it's easy now when everything's looking so lush.

We've had a reasonable amount of rain this winter, albeit some of it all at once :o  . The accompanying hail blocked the drain in the central patio of the house, so water flooded in. Hey-ho. This means my snails and slugs are also doing well :(   I would love for my cats to hunt those rather than chase the butterflies, but they blink at me unimpressedly when I suggest it.
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

Hilary

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 09:09:06 AM »
Pallas, Charithea,
Great photos. Enjoy the flowers while they last
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 08:37:46 AM »
Since Spring is promising a lot here for us I decided to post 3 photos full of promise.

Charithea

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 07:44:02 AM »
My Easter Monday offerings.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 06:47:16 AM »
Some much needed rain has arrived in the past few days but has been accompanied by much lower temperatures. I was not too worried until I noticed it had had fallen as snow on the higher slopes of the Appenines.......one just never knows what is around the corner ???
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 09:09:46 AM »
After an unusually warm/early spring here in south-east England we've been busily planting out, sowing seeds etc, but it's now turned unusually cold, with -4 deg C last night. Very dry though, I wish we could have some of your rain, Carole.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 05:09:57 PM »
Sorry, can't spare any Alisdair- hardly enough for us but....even a little was welcome.