Stephanotis has fruit!

• 5 Replies

Pallas

• Email
Stephanotis has fruit!
« on: March 27, 2017, 12:45:26 PM »
We had a cold snap in January and a hailstorm about a month ago, and my Stephanotis had shredded leaves and dead branches. While I was up the ladder cutting them out, I found two fruit! They look like elongated mangoes or avocadoes, not edible. I never knew that Stephanotis set fruit, but the internet tells me that they do this from time to time, although I was unable to find any conclusive information on why or what triggers it. I have cut one open and will leave the other to dry and then cut it open to see what happens. Apparently, they can be propagated from the seed.
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

Charithea

Re: Stephanotis has fruit!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 04:24:56 PM »
Hi Pallas Stephanotis seem to set fruit a lot here in Cyprus. I have used the seeds and had great success with them.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 06:07:06 PM »
Interesting: maybe it is something in the Cyprus water! I have asked a couple of gardeners here and none had ever seen or heard of the fruit. Your experience is definitely encouraging me to try growing them from seed. I have 3 plants of Stephanotis. All were badly neglected for several years (the house was empty before we moved in). I have had some limited success in 'renewal' pruning, but although they flower reasonably well and the flowers themselves are as ravishing as ever, the plants overall are not a particularly edifying sight: leggy, sparsely be-leaved, many bare vines, slightly chlorotic... Very excited to try growing seedlings to renew them. Thank you, Charitea.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:27:44 AM by Pallas »
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

John J

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 05:36:53 AM »
Pallas, the seed pods can take a long time to ripen, then they turn brown and split. I see that you have already cut one of them open but if the other is still whole then leave it in a warm place until it ripens and you'll have a better chance of success. It may take a long time, several months even.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 09:27:17 AM »
Yes, my curiosity got the better of me and I cut one open in the interests of science  ;)   It is a pretty thing and the silky strands of the seeds are so soft.

Thanks for the tips, John, I will treat the other one as you suggest and post an update when (if?) something happens.

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 02:06:56 PM »
I have just seen that the neighbours' plant is full of fruit! They live in Madrid and only come during the summer, so their garden gets minimal attention most of the year. Funny how novelties, once seen, cannot be unseen -- I expect I'll be spotting Stephanotis fruit everywhere now!