Damage on olive trees - continued

• 6 Replies

Pia

• Email
Damage on olive trees - continued
« on: March 11, 2017, 01:20:38 PM »
The branches attacked will die and the tree will wither.
Some locals here in Greece suggest it is "Flogtribus", others say "Kalokori", and they all suggests to spray with an insecticide.
We cannot find out what Flogtribus and Kalokori means.

Anyone who can help?
Kind regards Pia
Living in Denmark and part time growing olives in the coastal Peloponnese, near Kiveri, close to Nafplion. MGS member since 2010.

Janet Ibbotson

Re: Damage on olive trees - continued
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 02:37:46 PM »
I'm no expert and there are many on this forum who are.  However, it looks like "early onset" olive knot and if so the bacteria gets in through cuts or wounds to the stem and infected pruning tools.  So as these are young stems and you mention a) they were previously tied and b) you have some form of bug, perhaps the ties caused wounds and the bugs are making the situation worse.  So if it is olive knot a pesticide won't get rid of it will but will get rid of the bugs.  And the only way to get rid of the knot is to cut infected branches out and keep any pruning tools sterlised.
Janet Ibbotson
MGS Member currently based in Skopelos, Greece but also gardens in Norfolk

John J

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »
Pia, I have no idea what 'Flogtribus' is but 'Kalokori' sounds like a bug that used to be known as Calocoris but is now, I believe, called Closterotomus trivialis. They are known to attack olive, citrus and some prunus species, especially the young growth. However, their preferred hosts would appear to be a variety of weeds such as nettles, etc. Unless the infestation is very severe I doubt that they will actually kill the tree. Suggestions for control seem to range from leaving weeds in situ in the area of the trees, especially during bud break and flowering, to spraying with an insecticide. Ones containing malathion are popular here in Cyprus. Personally I never spray with anything but I've not found this particular bug to be a problem.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 09:26:14 AM »
Pia, I asked my son M about the diseases your trees have and he sent me this
I think they mean
Καλοκορις
and
Φλοιοτρίβης
Both are not so big a problem that someone would worry about losing their trees.
Kalokoris can be a problem for the crop at some parts of the Peloponnese but it is generally contained through cultural methods.

Send them this link of the Ministry of Agriculture's regional Agricultural Extension Centres: http://www.minagric.gr/index.php/el/for-farmer-2/agricultural-warnings
where there should find the one in their area.
We in Sparta receive and use the one from Nafplio. http://www.minagric.gr/index.php/el/for-farmer-2/agricultural-warnings/120-nauplio
Have a look at the attachment, with what Nafplio says about both these pests.

So far i have not looked at the attachment, will do so now
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 09:32:41 AM »
https://outlook.live.com/owa/projection.aspx

I don't know if this works as a link
It is all in Greek  but looks useful for Olive tree growers
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 09:39:20 AM »
maybe this will work
MGS member

Pia

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 10:32:49 AM »
Thank you so much, all of you :)
We will follow your links and look at the suggestions and make a further research.
Kind regards Pia
Living in Denmark and part time growing olives in the coastal Peloponnese, near Kiveri, close to Nafplion. MGS member since 2010.