Cyclamen hardiness

• 2 Replies

Alice

Cyclamen hardiness
« on: March 09, 2017, 11:10:48 AM »
How hardy are Cyclamen confusum and Cyclamen hederifolium subsp. crassifolium? Would they cope with a SE English climate?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Cyclamen hardiness
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 10:46:25 AM »
They should be hardy enough with the present SE England climate, Alice. Several people in SE England do have them out of doors (including Kit Grey-Wilson who first separated confusum from ordinary hederifolium - he gardens near Diss in Norfolk). As I think you know Helena here at our house in East Sussex has a wholesale cyclamen nursery raising only hederifolium and coum from seed. Quite a few of her plants have that tetraploid confusum/crassifolium soft look but have been untouched down to -8C. The only thing is that they do tend to flower a bit later than ordinary hederifolium - one small population we have in our Greek garden was still in flower at the end of January. I think this probably makes them less likely to set seed in English conditions.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

Re: Cyclamen hardiness
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 06:02:04 PM »
Your reply was very useful, Alistair. Thank you.
Cyclamen hederifolium does very well in our English garden. I could even say that it threatens to take over.
I grew many cyclamen plants over winter, including C. confusum and C. hederifolium subsp. crassifolium and wanted to plant some out to join the others but had seen conflicting reviews about their hardiness.
I will now definitely risk it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:00:40 PM by Alice »
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.