Waiting for the spring – Long-lived Hibiscus rosa-sinensis

• 3 Replies

JTh

• Email
Waiting for the spring – Long-lived Hibiscus rosa-sinensis
« on: March 05, 2017, 02:59:00 PM »
It’s still winter here in Norway, although it has been unusually mild so far. I’m longing for spring, and Greece, and while I’m waiting, I’m enjoying the continuously flowering Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, which I bought while I lived in Thessaloniki in 1986-87. It was brought back to Norway in our car, together with a large basil, which was smelling wonderfully every time we went through a curve. This hibiscus has now survived for thirty years on the window sill in our living room, except for the annual visit to our garden for a few months every summer. I see that many of you are able to keep this alive through the winter, and I should wish I could do the same in our garden in Halkidiki, but I’m sure the winters are too cold.

It is flowering all the year, the flowers are large, half-filled, pale pink with a tinge of apricot and a dark purple centre. It has of course been cut back several times; it’s my favourite indoor plant.

_3056585 Hibiscus rosa-sinensis.jpg
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr

_3046551 Hibiscus rosa sinensis.jpg

_2216469 Hibiscus rosa-sinensis.jpg
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Waiting for the spring – Long-lived Hibiscus rosa-sinensis
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 10:19:36 AM »
What an incredible achievement, keeping that not just alive indoors for 30 years, but so healthy and beautiful!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 05:24:26 PM »
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis
Jorun, here are a few photos of the Hibiscus we have on our front, south facing, balcony.
The first photo is of one of the flowers we enjoyed seeing while having our summer breakfast on the balcony after our morning swim in the sea.

The second photo shows the balcony as it was on the 9th of January.
I didn’t snap the Hibiscus as there was no snow in that corner.

The third photo shows the Hibiscus plant as it is today

I think your Hibiscus should continue its peripatetic life
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 05:22:16 PM »
Thank you, Alisdair and Hilary. The flower in Hilary`s photo resembles mine, except that the one I have has slightly paler flowers. I suppose your balcony is more sheltered than my Greek garden, so I think it is safer to stick to the regime I have used here in Norway and find something hardier for Greece.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.