Tree with red trunk/bark ID'd by John J as Arbutus andrachne

• 9 Replies

Pia

• Email
Tree with red trunk/bark ID'd by John J as Arbutus andrachne
« on: February 15, 2017, 06:11:29 PM »
Name of the tree? Yestereday we observed a lot of trees with red trunks and obviously evergreen foliage - altitude about 600 m in the coastland of Peloponnese. Anyone who know this tree?
Kind regards Pia
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:18:58 AM by Alisdair »
Living in Denmark and part time growing olives in the coastal Peloponnese, near Kiveri, close to Nafplion. MGS member since 2010.

John J

Re: Tree with red trunk/bark
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 08:07:04 PM »
Try looking up Arbutus andrachne.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Pia

• Email
Re: Tree with red trunk/bark
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 08:15:44 PM »
Thank you so much - surely you are right. Kind regards Pia
Living in Denmark and part time growing olives in the coastal Peloponnese, near Kiveri, close to Nafplion. MGS member since 2010.

cerg

Re: Tree with red trunk/bark ID'd by John J as Arbutus andrachne
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 07:20:56 PM »
Anyone who knows where to find one specimen for our garden? What type of climate does it need?

Best Regards

Corrado (& Rina)

John J

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 08:07:42 AM »
Hi, it very much depends on where you live as to finding a specimen. For example here in Cyprus they are easily available as they are native to the island and provide the majority of the understory of the Pinus brutia woods on the mountain alongside the Cyprus Golden Oak (Quercus alnifolia). In the wild they grow from around 700-1300m, occasionally down as low as 100m in parts. Having said that my tree seems to be quite happy at a mere 30/40 m above sea level. It doesn't get direct irrigation in summer but probably benefits from being on the fringe of a vegetable area that does get regular watering.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 07:34:15 PM »
I've taken Janet Ibbotson's posting about Arbutus cuttings and moved it to the main thread on Arbutus, in the trees and shrubs section
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

cerg

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 11:06:20 PM »
Hi, it very much depends on where you live as to finding a specimen. For example here in Cyprus they are easily available as they are native to the island and provide the majority of the understory of the Pinus brutia woods on the mountain alongside the Cyprus Golden Oak (Quercus alnifolia). In the wild they grow from around 700-1300m, occasionally down as low as 100m in parts. Having said that my tree seems to be quite happy at a mere 30/40 m above sea level. It doesn't get direct irrigation in summer but probably benefits from being on the fringe of a vegetable area that does get regular watering.

Dear John,

What minimum winter temperatures would Arbutus andrachne tolerate?

Best,

Corrado (& Rina).

John J

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 06:15:28 AM »
Corrado, I don't have any definitive information but I'd hazard a guess at around -10C for a limited period. Severe frosts may be a problem. As I said earlier they grow in amongst Cyprus oaks under the canopy of Pinus brutia so probably get some protection that way, especially from direct exposure to cold winds.

cerg

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 09:43:09 PM »
Corrado, I don't have any definitive information but I'd hazard a guess at around -10C for a limited period. Severe frosts may be a problem. As I said earlier they grow in amongst Cyprus oaks under the canopy of Pinus brutia so probably get some protection that way, especially from direct exposure to cold winds.

Thank you John! I

Best,

Corrado

Janet Ibbotson

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 08:10:04 PM »
It was down around -3 here this winter with 10 days of deep snow and both kinds of arbutus are still looking very chirpy.  Andrachne grows in the forest on Skopelos but there are also some fine specimens in olive groves and on exposed hillsides.
Janet Ibbotson
MGS Member currently based in Skopelos, Greece but also gardens in Norfolk