Cold makes blood oranges bloodier

• 3 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Cold makes blood oranges bloodier
« on: February 07, 2017, 08:46:31 AM »
We have had bloodier blood oranges this year, along with the colder weather.
That fits with this cross-posting from Facebook, courtesy of James Wong
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Cold makes blood oranges bloodier
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 07:27:52 PM »
Mike, we found the same with our Malta Blood Orange when we were in the Mani, southern Greece last month (usually it doesn't get cold enough to colour them really deeply; even this year we escaped frost, but the cooler-than-usual weather certainly made a difference).
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Caroline

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 07:19:00 AM »
There goes another illusion - that I could grow blood oranges here on Waiheke where we never get frosts...
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 08:33:56 AM »
Yes, but you'd still get the wonderful taste, excellent for juice, especially mixed with another variety
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society