New(?) book on Greek wild flowers

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
New(?) book on Greek wild flowers
« on: February 07, 2017, 12:34:38 AM »
I regularly get newsletters from NHBS and the latest contained a reference to a book which may be of interest to some members. Maybe you know of it already? Not a recommendation, I have not seen the book. I just thought it might be useful info.

"Wild Flowers of the Mani: A Comprehensive Photographic Identification Guide for the Flowers of the Mani Peninsula in Southern Greece" by Roger Marchant. Here is the link to the relevant pages of NHBS' site

http://www.nhbs.com/title/213952/wild-flowers-of-the-mani?bkfno=234340&ad_id=2233&utm_source=NHBS+News+%26+Updates&utm_campaign=738f1ed931-botany_february_2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9dd4930fe0-738f1ed931-58775929&mc_cid=738f1ed931&mc_eid=1e7fcd0eef

They are also selling "Wild Flowers of the Mediterranean", Marjorie Blamey (Illustrator), Christopher Grey-Wilson (Author), at a very good price at under £12.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: New(?) book on Greek wild flowers
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 07:24:03 PM »
Thanks David, I've ordered a copy; the author seems to be a professor of microbial biotechnology in Northern Ireland with wide interests in natural history (he's self-published another book, on the birds of Thailand).
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

KatG

• Email
Re: New(?) book on Greek wild flowers
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 04:29:02 PM »
There is a predecessor to this book, with the title Guide to Wild Flowers of the Mani, it was published in 2013. The Peloponnese group were able to benefit from Roger's extensive knowledge when he guided us on the 'Orchid Walk' a few years ago.
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.