Selaginella

• 5 Replies

John

Selaginella
« on: September 03, 2011, 03:55:04 PM »
Selaginella denticulata is widespread in the Mediterranean and sometimes in surprising dry places. It is so lush and a vivid green when in full growth but I also love it when it takes on this red colouring under stress in the dry season. Again on Crete last year.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

Re: Selaginella
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 08:46:20 AM »
I just came across one looking quite green that I took in Italy in April. This one seems to be in fertile mode with sporangia (I believe) showing between the segments.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:59:49 PM »
It happily survives the long dry summer in our hot southern Greece garden, too.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 09:30:51 PM »
Here is some Selaginella denticulata, photo'd today on the Akamas peninsula.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 09:51:54 PM »
No rain yet then?
John

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 10:02:44 PM »
Yes - had quite a lot of rain the other day - the paths up there show fresh gullying and ponding (pine needles in strand lines).
But still red for stop, not green for go...
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England