Roman Villa near Loutraki, Corinthia

• 1 Replies

Hilary

Roman Villa near Loutraki, Corinthia
« on: January 22, 2017, 05:57:55 PM »
We had heard of the 'Roman Villa' several years ago so today, a sunny Sunday, we went looking for it.
It was huge. As it is still being excavated I will let the photos speak for ruins .
There is, of course, the ubiquitous Pine tree for shade and some tiny flowers and green low plants  surrounding  the stones
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

Re: Roman Villa near Loutraki, Corinthia
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 07:09:56 AM »
March 2023
The Roman Villa, Loutraki.

The last time we visited this site was in January 2017 since then the site has been partially enclosed by a barbed wire fence with open gates.

Since I as on the lookout for wild flowers I didn’t attempt walking around the ruins but took photos from the fence.

It was a beautiful clear day so the first photos are of the view of the mountains across the Gulf of Corinth with the excavated ruins and wild flowers in the foreground.
The mountains which we can recognize and name are Acrocorinth, flat topped Phocas and Kyllini / Ziria with its winter snow
The Gerania mountain loomed behind us.

The Roman Villa had been built using the stones from earlier buildings hence various sized dressed stones, the column base and some columns scattered around.

Of wild flowers there were plenty some being

Hollow stemmed Asphodel, Asphodelus fistulosus
Neapolitan garlic, Allium neapolitanum
And many Alkanet plants, Alkanna tinctoria 

MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care