Tree ID'd as Tetraclinis articulata by John J and Mike Hardman

• 4 Replies

JayB

Tree ID'd as Tetraclinis articulata by John J and Mike Hardman
« on: January 19, 2017, 07:55:57 PM »
Hi all, we have a lot of these that are growing wild but I'm not entirely sure what they are.
My first guess would be a Juniper or Cypress but I don't know much about either aside from those manicured hedges and I don't think this is one of them.

I don't think it is Cupressus sempervirens and I'm not entirely convinced it is a Juniperus thurifera but I think this is close and may even be but I just can't say.

Any ideas?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:35:05 PM by Alisdair »
G'day from an Aussie in Spain. Currently attempting a total garden overhaul.

JayB

Re: Tree ID Spain
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 12:56:01 PM »
I have had it suggested that it is a Cypress but I think I would rule out C. sempervirens as the berries/cones don't seem to match.

John J

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 01:34:26 PM »
JayB, could your tree be a Tetraclinis articulata? I believe they are native to your part of the world.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JayB

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 01:37:49 PM »
Yes I think you may be right, I had come to the same conclusion but literature says they have become rare in Spain and are not really found in my region.
Still plenty of them here though.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 05:03:07 PM »
I, too, think it is Tetraclinis articulata.
Here in Cyprus, it is a common hedging plant that sometimes escapes the hedge clippers, thence developing into a tree and bearing fruit.

Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England