Autumn Ladies' Tresses, Spiranthes spiralis

• 1 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Autumn Ladies' Tresses, Spiranthes spiralis
« on: January 08, 2017, 02:49:28 PM »
After a long absence I am back and thought I would start with an exciting find last autumn.
One plant of Autumn Ladies' Tresses appeared under one of my ornamental olive trees - 15 years or so after the tree was planted. I had encouraged Sedum acre to grow in the square planting area around it and was amazed to spot the plant when tidying up. The flowers were just about over but it was unmistakable although I was rather amazed that I spotted it amongst the Sedum. I cleaned an area around it and shall hope to see it again next year. I have never it found it growing in the wild around us although have seen it in neighbouring Tuscany.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:24:40 PM by Fleur Pavlidis »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
Re: Autumn Ladies' Tresses
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 05:48:53 PM »
Nice, I know the feeling when you suddenly find something rare that you have never seen before, but you immediately recognize it. I discovered this one in my neighbors' lawn 5-6 years ago, they run a pension which luckily (for the orchids) closes in September, so the lawn is left undisturbed until next spring. Every year there are more of them, now they have also spread to the path going down to the sea, maybe one day they'll show up in our garden as well. Not very big and showy, but I still find them exciting.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.