Unknown seedlings confirmed as pomegranate by Jorun

• 3 Replies

Fermi

• Email
Unknown seedlings confirmed as pomegranate by Jorun
« on: December 18, 2016, 12:46:35 PM »
When digging over a vegie bed we found a number of seedlings which we couldn't identify - here are some we potted up.
Nearby is a flowering Oleander and I wondered if they could be from them? The other possibility is Pomegranate as the seeds were thrown into the compost.
Any suggestions?
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:26:55 AM by Alisdair »
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

JTh

• Email
Re: Unknown seedlings
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 01:23:35 PM »
The biggest seedling with proper leaves looks very much like the seedlings sprouting under our pomegranate trees in Greece, I'm weeding them all the time to limit the number.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Unknown seedlings confirmed as pomegranate by Jorun
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 01:50:19 PM »
Thanks, Jorun,
it means these might be worth keeping - and they should cope with our conditions :D
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

JTh

• Email
Re: Unknown seedlings confirmed as pomegranate by Jorun
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »
It's the toughest plant in my garden in Greece, I believe, the only one I had any success with in the beginning.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.