Chimonanthus praecox

• 2 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Chimonanthus praecox
« on: January 10, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
Bitterly cold here at the moment, ground frozen solid although we have been spared the snow that has hit more southern parts of Italy. Yesterday was bright and sunny and the perfume from my Chimonanthus praecox assailed me the moment I stepped outside - truly something to lift the spirits in deepest winter.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Chimonanthus praecox
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 12:36:43 AM »
Same here in Rome Umbrian. Ground fully frozen. Many succulents' leaves reduced to mush, Cannas browned right down to soil level. Who knows what will have survived come spring. One day of better weather forecast, Thursday, and then down to freezing point  for a further week. No snow so far. There are one or two plants still flowering though including Tagetes lemmonii even though the petals are not as pristine as they were a week ago.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Joanna Savage

Re: Chimonanthus praecox
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 08:10:44 AM »
Frozen solid here in Toscana, too, and likely to remain so for some time. However, I did manage to pick a bunch of Viburnum tinus as it is coming into flower. Very cheering.