Does anybody grow Mentzelia lindleyi?

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Does anybody grow Mentzelia lindleyi?
« on: May 13, 2017, 01:53:07 PM »
I bought some seeds of this and they were very quick to come up. But they produced very few leaves and yet they produced flowers. I was away from home for 10 days and came back to find those which I had sown in situ had died. I still have one or two in pots which I will plant out but I was rather hoping they would fill in spaces and give flowers at the same time. I am only getting single flowers on very short plants with next to no foliage. Can anyone help?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Does anybody grow Mentzelia lindleyi?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 07:56:30 AM »
David, I've never tried this lovely-looking plant, but this California Native Plant Society website rather suggests that to grow well it may need a more temperate climate than Rome to thrive.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Does anybody grow Mentzelia lindleyi?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 10:16:58 PM »
Judging by their performance I think you are right Alisdair. Given that they are annuals I set the seed back at the beginning of February and I imagined they would be well developed by April and so miss the hottest part of the year. We have had no exceptionally hot weather yet and I was surprised that they flowered with so little foliage. They started to germinate within a few days. Let's see what happens over the next few weeks. If I get seed from this batch I might sow some in the autumn and see if they sprout then.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.