Damage by cold spell in Rome

• 3 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Damage by cold spell in Rome
« on: January 17, 2017, 11:04:00 AM »
Just a few photos to show how the cold affected some of my succulents. They may come back but they will take a long time to get back to how they were just before Christmas. :(
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

JayB

Re: Damage by cold spell in Rome
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 11:19:21 AM »
Oh dear, but a timely reminder.
Even here on the Costa Blanca as of today we are expecting zero temps and possibly even snow.
I will be bringing what I can/needs to indoors and fingers crossed for the rest.
G'day from an Aussie in Spain. Currently attempting a total garden overhaul.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 05:35:17 AM »
Quite a few mild winters recently found me less prepared than normal but I did manage to get most borderline things, that I keep in pots anyway, safely wrapped or under cover before the sharp frosts and now snow arrived. My main worry is a large Brugmansia that had grown too large and heavy to move indoors as in previous years. A victim of it's own success in flourishing far more than I had anticipated. The pot is well swathed in bubble wrap and layers of fleece cover the huge top growth - I shall investigate with trepidation when this cold snap is over.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Pescalune

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 08:22:32 PM »
Last night, in my garden near Montpellier, France, temperature dropped to minus 5° Celsius for the first time in several years.
Strong wind also added to the icy atmosphere.
I inspected the garden this morning with apprehension, but apparently very few plants have suffered; none of my succulents seem so far to have wilted. I must say that we have had no rain recently and the soil is quite dry and well drained, which may have helped. Particularly spectacular are the irises we call in France "Iris d'Alger", Iris unguicularis now in spectacular bloom, which have remained impervious to the cold snap ... for the moment.
You can perhaps tell me if I am being too optimistic; are there after-effects of a spell of subzero temperature in a mediterranean garden?
I'll keep you posted.
Jean
Pescalune