Sydney University jacaranda

• 4 Replies

John J

Sydney University jacaranda
« on: November 02, 2016, 06:31:54 AM »
Perhaps our Australian colleagues can shed some light on this subject? This morning on our radio alarm we caught a snippet of conversation about the demise of an ancient, much revered, jacaranda tree in the grounds of the above university. What's this all about, guys?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Sydney University jacaranda
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 10:04:05 AM »
I read about this on BBC News pages. Here is the story the BBC put out.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37819712
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 10:25:02 AM »
Thanks for that, David, what a great story, and a fantastic looking tree, such a shame.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Joanna Savage

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 01:26:46 PM »
Hello John, I knew that Sydney Uni Jacaranda well. I must have passed it hundreds of times as a visitor and it was a beauty. However, I have to say that ours at the University of Queensland were much bigger and better and deeper coloured! Probably because the sub tropical climate suited them. I have seen other beauties in Buenos Aires which, I think , is their home territory. But flowering Jacarandas will always be remembered by Australian students as the sign that end of year exams were close on the horizon and then panic would set in.

The Jacarandas flower in late October into November which can be a time of intense thunderstorm activity. So that is another memory, the  vivid purple lavender flowers under an equally vivid purple sky.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 01:49:32 PM »
Wonderful story, thanks David very much for digging it out.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society